Learn how to transform your space yourself with our step-by-step tiling guide.
Difficulty: Easy | Costs: from 20 euros | Workload: 20 minutes per tile
Hello! You are here because you want to redesign your bathroom, living room or outdoor space.
In this DIY guide, we offer you a detailed guide on how to lay tiles yourself.
But first, let's look at what tiles are and why they're so popular.
1. What are tiles?
Tile is a type of floor or wall covering valued for its durability and aesthetics.
They have been an integral part of house construction for decades and are one of the most widely used building materials worldwide.
1.1 Types of tiles
There are several types of tiles:
Each type has its own pros and cons that you should consider before making your choice.
1.2 You should consider this when choosing your tiles
- Budget tiles are available in many price categories
- Shape - Laying determines the tile pattern
- Size - There are infinitely different tile sizes Rectangular, Hexagonal, Large format tiles etc.
1.3 Advantages of tiles
Tiles are proven building materials for many centuries.
- Durability: Tiles are strong and will withstand many years of heavy use.
- Low Maintenance: Tiles require less care and maintenance compared to other floor coverings.
- Variety: There is a wide range of designs, colors and textures.
- Hygiene: Tiles do not attract dust or mold and are therefore ideal for allergy sufferers.
- Appreciation: Tiles can increase the value of your property.
1.4 Basic equipment for laying tiles
Before you start tiling, you need to make sure you have all the necessary tools and materials on hand.
tools and materials
Tile cutter : An indispensable tool for cutting the tiles to the right size.
Drill with Mixing Attachment : This is needed to properly mix the tile adhesive and grout.
Leveler : A tool that helps ensure tiles are straight and level.
Angle grinder: With a tile cutting disc for tile recesses, cut round or mitred
Don't forget to wear the necessary protective clothing, including goggles, gloves and appropriate footwear.
3. How to lay tiles
Now we come to the most exciting part of this article - the actual tiling.
Step 1: Preparing the substrate and applying the primer
- The subfloor must be clean, dry, and level before you begin.
- You can apply a primer to ensure better adhesion.
- Make sure the primer is completely dry before proceeding.
Step 2: Tile Planning and Layout
Before you apply the tile adhesive, you should lay out and dry-align the tiles to make sure everything fits and looks good.
You can also use a plumb line to align the tiles properly.
Our Tip: How to Choose Tile Patterns and Installation Techniques Tile patterns and installation techniques can have a huge impact on the overall look of your space. You can choose patterns and techniques that match your personal style and make the room appear larger or smaller.
Step 3: Laying the tiles with tile adhesive
Now you can apply the tile adhesive and lay the tiles.
- Start in the center of the room and work your way outwards.
- Use tile crosses to ensure even grouting.
- Note the drying time of the tile adhesive before proceeding.
Common mistakes and how to avoid them
- A common mistake is laying tiles without proper planning or preparation .
- Another mistake is not observing the drying time of the tile adhesive.
Step 4: Grout tiles and clean with sponge board
After the glue has dried, you can grout the tiles. Be sure to immediately remove excess grout with a sponge board.
4. Care and maintenance of floor tiles after laying
Floor tiles are quite easy to care for.
Regular mopping and occasional scrubbing is enough to keep them clean and beautiful in most cases.
5. Conclusion - Laying tiles is not a problem with the right preparation
Laying tiles can be a rewarding task.
With the right tools, some patience, and this guide, you can achieve an impressive result!
6. Frequently asked questions about laying tiles
How long does it take to lay tiles?
It depends on the size of the room and your experience. A beginner could take a whole day for a small bathroom. An average value is one hour per square meter.
How much do tiles cost?
The cost varies depending on the type andquality of the tiles.
Can I lay tiles in the shower?
Yes, tile is an excellent choice for showers because of its water resistance.
Do I need to hire a professional to lay tiles?
Not necessarily. With the right tools and a little patience, you can do it yourself.